Monday, June 7, 2010

kimberly t malm



Dollhouse Fossil- Computer, Acrylic paint, stitching, paper and tape on canvas, 8 x 8, Dollhouse Fossil- Antique Chair, Acrylic paint, stitching, paper and tape on canvas, 8 x 10, Dollhouse Fossil-Fireplace, Acrylic paint, stitching, paper and tape on canvas, 8 x 10, Dollhouse Fossil- couch center triptych, Acrylic paint, stitching, paper and tape on canvas, 8 x 8 each panel
....I’ve recently begun to think about how this way of making paintings is related to childhood memories I have of playing with dollhouses. As a youngster, I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours holding, touching, and looking at miniature versions of furniture. I would obsessively arrange and rearrange furniture and interiors used to replicate much larger versions of “the real thing”. So, in a way, this “play memory” is beginning to navigate and inform my painting process. When I step back and look at paintings that are finished (the good ones, that is), I sometimes sense a quiet, mysterious, slightly magical quality of a secret life of an interior; one completely void of people but alive nonetheless.
i'm loving that i'm seeing so many artists who are using embroidery in such interesting ways. i love the combination of painting with the textured line of embroidery...see more work here and the entire statement here.

No comments:

Post a Comment