Thursday, March 18, 2010

my new work




rows: school, 2010, encaustic, mixed media on rusted and branded silk on wood, 36x48, rows: school, detail, rows: garage, 2010, encaustic, mixed media on rusted and branded silk on wood, 36x48, rows: garage, detail, rows: cantina, 2010, encaustic, mixed media on rusted and branded silk on wood, 36x48, rows: cantina, detail

my work is going through a transitional period and i'm please to say i like where it's going. i find that during transitional periods it's best to strip everything down to what's most important to me as an artist. for me, what's most important is markmaking, surface and pattern. this new series is called 'rows' and is inspired by walls and building facades on my lengthy drive to work. see images here, here, here and here from my photographic diary called 'my drive to work'. see more work at my web site here.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Lorraine,
    I just left your website, even though that is so difficult to do! Your new work "Rows" is stunning. I can feel the texture and rich color is wonderful. I can see the relationship between your images that you took on the way to work. I, too, love pattern, surface design and markmaking. Thank you for sharing your work, it is always wonderful and an inspiration.
    Best to you,
    Sondra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, I really like the new direction you are going in. I'd like to see these pieces in person. Your work is always intriguing and accomplished. Best, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine, this new work is intriguing. You've be able to achieve textures and surfaces that evoke an aged-rawness. Immediate thought was Anslem Kiefer. I love this stuff. Love your aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for your comments. like i mentioned, i am in a transitional period, so i'm not quite sure about myself right now and your comments give the work some validity. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful new work. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on how you deal with changes in your work. It is always intriguing to hear how other artist process information and I like your description of identifying the elements of your work that are most crucial.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so earthy, ordered and yet chaotic, love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lori: the new (transitional?) work is lovely and haunting. hoping you are going to chase down this road wherever it leads: as the tell me here "courage" (French encouragement). Linda Colsh

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also second that this is a great new direction you're headed! My gut feeling is that the pictures aren't doing them justice? Just added to my to-do list: see these in person some day! :)

    ReplyDelete